Master’s Programs Taught in English CUC
Master’s Programs Taught in English
About Communication University of China
Communication University of China (CUC) is one of China’s major universities of the “Project 211”, directly under the supervision of the State Ministry of Education（MOE）. Located in the east part of Beijing, CUC occupies 463,600 square meters. With more than 60 years history, CUC has made such a great contribution to the national business of radio and television that it has gained the fame — “a cradle of China’s radio and television talents”. As the discipline evaluation results of 2012 State Ministry of Education showed that the subject “Journalism & Communication” and “Drama Film & Television” of CUC ranked the first, ”Art Theory” and “Designing” ranked top 10. CUC was selected in the “First Class Disciplines and First Class Universities” list which was released by Chinese authorities in 2017. The disciplines of “Journalism & Communication” and “Drama Film & Television” of CUC remains top 1 in China.
Now, there are nearly 14,000 full-time students at the CUC, including over 9,000 undergraduates, more than 4,000 candidates for doctorate and master’s degrees, and more than 10,000 students in programs of continuing education. CUC has established cooperative partnership with over 200 universities, research institutes, and media institutions in different countries and regions. Over 1,000 international students from more than 100 countries and regions study at CUC annually.
About Master’s Programs Taught in English
I Film and Television Production
The speciality of Film and Television Production takes advanced image production technology as its guide,and takes the integration of technology and art as its idea. It educates high-level applied talents who grasp the traditional means of program production, can use new concepts and new ideas to create with the rapid development of new technologies, and adapt to the requirements of the new media era. In this direction, students are required to learn and master the techniques and skills of film and television production, especially the strong control ability of film and television production technology. Students are also required to be able to acutely sense the new trend of film and television technology development, as well as the influence of film and television technology development on the style and form of film and television programs.
Program Duration: 2 school years
Language: The language of teaching and thesis writing is English.
Prerequisite: Art&Literary literacy
Course Requirements: Students are required to complete at least 18 credits of coursework. The courses offered are as follows.
Primary production: documentary production
Secondary production: creative production
Advanced production: feature production
Digital image production
Film and television scene design
VR（Virtual Reality） and virtual studio production
New media technology
Film directing fundamentals
Television studio production technology
A thesis is a proper theoretical summary of the work being created:
(1) Theoretical summary: The thesis is an appropriate theoretical consideration of your graduation work.
(2) In the process of summarizing the theory, it is appropriate to supplement the explanation.
(3) The preliminary investigation data, plans, shooting script, production technology and packaging plan must be attached.
(4) Words number requirement: The total number of the body in the thesis is no less than 10,000 words (excluding attachments).
Graduation works include the following forms （no less than 30 minute ）:
(2) Art films, talk shows, variety shows, reality shows, parties, etc.
(3) The TV programs and video programs produced on various media platforms.
(4) Other innovative works approved.
The above works must be approved by the instructor and the instructor group
before the start of the creation.
II Linguistics and Applied Linguistics in Foreign Languages
(Cross-cultural Studies: Language and Communication)
The Master’s Program in Cross-cultural Studies: Language and Communication aims to help students to develop an understanding of how languages work, how societies and cultures differ and the variety of ways in which people from different societies and cultural backgrounds communicate using languages. Students will develop the tools to analyze cross-cultural communication with solid knowledge in language, culture and communication, learning to communicate creatively across cultural boundaries. Those successfully graduating from the degree should find that it enhances their opportunities to gain employment in fields where intercultural competence is valued, for example in many multinational organizations, in international projects and NGOs, and in multicultural communities. Students will be awarded Master of Arts upon successful completion of the program.
Duration: 2 school years
Language: The language of teaching and thesis writing is English.
Course Requirements: Students are required to complete at least 20 credits of coursework. The courses offered are as follows.
Introduction to Intercultural Communication
Doing Social Research
Media Discourse Analysis: Theory and Practice
Cultural Studies: Concepts, Methods, Theories
Rhetoric and Communication
Communication and Cognition
English as a Global Language
Comparative Studies of Chinese and English Cultures
Introduction to Classic Chinese Philosophy
Film and Television Culture in Contemporary China
Lectures on Chinese Culture
Academic Practicum and Field Work: consist 3 credits.
Thesis consists 3 credits. Students are expected to bring specific research questions to the program. Thesis must demonstrate valid analytical skills, and combines theories with practical experience. Students must pass oral defense of thesis to obtain Master’s Degree.
Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens with valid passport , have academic credentials that equate with bachelor’s degree in China, under 40 and provide academic credentials paper, at least two recommendation letters issued by associate professors or above.
Applicants should have educational background or working experience relevant to the subject of study
Applicants should have sufficient English language proficiency
(1) Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or www.campuschina.org and click “Scholarship Application Online for International Students”.
(2) Read “Tips for online application” carefully before clicking “NEXT” to the registration page.
(3) Log in with your user name and password. For new user, please click “Create an account” for registration.
(4) Fill in the correct Program Category and Agency Number. An Agency Number represents a specific application receiving agency and a correct choose of Program
Category is necessary before filling in the Agency Number. Please make sure you fill it in correctly, otherwise you will not be able to continue your online application or your application will not be accepted. Your ‘Program Category’is:TypeA and ‘Agency Number’is: 0026. Once the correct ‘Agency Number’is entered, the name of the agency will automatically emerge.
(5) Fill in the Online Application Form and Upload Supporting Documents truly, correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left of the page. Applicants are required to select a discipline before choosing their majors. Please refer to the Disciplines Index, which could be downloaded from Help, if you have any doubt about the disciplines and majors.
(6) Check each part of your Application carefully before submitting it. Click Submit to submit your Application. The submitted documents will be the only reference for the applied universities to confirm the admission.
(7) You can make changes to your application by clicking Withdraw and Edit the Application on the top of the page. But make sure to submit it again by clicking Submit after finishing all the changes. Otherwise, the retrieved application will become invalid and your new application will not be received either.
(8) You can download and print the completed Application Form by clicking Print the Application Form.
(9) Send the paper application form and other supporting documents to the dispatching authorities if they require you to do so.
Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer (11.0). Menu selection functions may not work in other browsers.
Only Chinese and English are accepted for the online application.
If language of any document is not Chinese or English, please provide notarized translation into Chinese or English.
Contact at CUC
Ms. Li Xuan
Address: International Students’ Office,Communication University of China,Room C213, Building 21, No. 1 Dingfuzhuang East Road Chaoyang District, Beijing 100024, People’s Republic of China